I have a strong impulse to rant. Then I remember that the most important thing is right now. And right now I do not need the negative energy of a rant flowing through my system. Right now, I need calmness and open-heartedness so that I can do something really big, even if that big thing is nothing more than changing my life for the better.
I am possessed by a strong impulse to cite all the wrongs in the world. Then I remember what that does -- and what it does not do. It does: shut down my heart, lessen my connection to the world, and makes my body feel heavy. And it does not: change anything.
I attach to this idea that everybody needs to be more aware of what is happening in this world, in this country, in our communities. Perhaps that is true; and it also true that nothing is accomplish shouting about it and passing judgment on those who do less than good, which is what I tend to do. The most important thing right now is not to rant, criticize, and judge: it is to be present in this moment. And when I achieve that, perhaps I can allow myself to be a little angry about the way things are and at the same hold great compassion in my heart.
So as I write, I ask myself, "What is the most important thing right now?" All of the things I considered posting my views on suddenly seem unimportant. Perhaps another day I will write about the need for greener computing or "regulatory capitalism" Right now, the sky is deep blue, the breeze is cool, and I don't want to get stirred up by things over which I have no control.
No comments:
Post a Comment